Summer Top

I bought a new soft top combo from Quadratec. It’s the Master Top summer combo. Comes with a bikini top, a wind jammer and a tonneau cover. I think I am going to like having this on better than the factory soft top.

Although I might have to make some other changes. This limits me from using my Tuffy Security Deck enclosure. The jury is still out on this.

Putting it back together

The Jeep is clean-ish. I have my seal press and my case spreader. Time to get the seals pressed in, the locker back in the differential, axles back in, brakes and wheels, and get this Jeep rolling again!

Drives great. No leaks. No weird noises. No new ones anyway. Looking forward to driving this all summer long.

Moving dirt

The concrete contractor was able to come by today and level out the dirt we removed when building the shop foundation. Going to get grass planted before it starts to rain later.

Seal Press

As I mentioned before, you really need to use a proper seal press in order to seat the new seals in the front differential. I could buy one for around $100. But this is something I really wanted to make. I was recently trained on how to safely use a metal lathe down at the CWRU Thinkbox, so I wanted to give it a try and make one.

I designed the part in Fusion 360.

I went to a local hardware store, and they just happened to have a drop of some 2.75″ round bar that was just the size I needed for $12. I took an afternoon on the lathe, and with some help, was able to turn the piece that I needed. It took a while, but I think it was well worth it. Not only did I learn a lot, but I saved a bunch of money!

Filthy

Time to get the rest of this Moab dust out of the Jeep. I decided to take everything out, including the seats, and give it all a good cleaning.

Axle Progress

I decided to buy and install outer axle seals this time. I think that part of the issue why I get so many axle seal leaks is the gunk that gets into the tube and creates an issue for the seals.

Installing outer seals will eliminate the from happening.

I also made some progress getting the CV joints on the axle shafts put back together.

Fascia

Spent a bunch of time working on the workshop soffit and fascia. I am using a product called MiraTEC. It is man made and is rot and moisture resistant. It cuts really nice. I took my time measuring and setting the angles so the miters would line up just right. I like how it is turning out.