Still runs hot

Took the Jeep to the dealer. I still think it runs too hot. Plus I had some passenger side airbag recall. They replaced the thermostat (it was leaking). But on the drive home, the coolant temp was still higher than I think it should be. I think I am going to have to replace the radiator or something. I suspect it is caked with mud.

235* at 30 MPH just makes NO sense.

Summer Top

I bought a new soft top combo from Quadratec. It’s the Master Top summer combo. Comes with a bikini top, a wind jammer and a tonneau cover. I think I am going to like having this on better than the factory soft top.

Although I might have to make some other changes. This limits me from using my Tuffy Security Deck enclosure. The jury is still out on this.

Putting it back together

The Jeep is clean-ish. I have my seal press and my case spreader. Time to get the seals pressed in, the locker back in the differential, axles back in, brakes and wheels, and get this Jeep rolling again!

Drives great. No leaks. No weird noises. No new ones anyway. Looking forward to driving this all summer long.

Seal Press

As I mentioned before, you really need to use a proper seal press in order to seat the new seals in the front differential. I could buy one for around $100. But this is something I really wanted to make. I was recently trained on how to safely use a metal lathe down at the CWRU Thinkbox, so I wanted to give it a try and make one.

I designed the part in Fusion 360.

I went to a local hardware store, and they just happened to have a drop of some 2.75″ round bar that was just the size I needed for $12. I took an afternoon on the lathe, and with some help, was able to turn the piece that I needed. It took a while, but I think it was well worth it. Not only did I learn a lot, but I saved a bunch of money!

Filthy

Time to get the rest of this Moab dust out of the Jeep. I decided to take everything out, including the seats, and give it all a good cleaning.

Axle Progress

I decided to buy and install outer axle seals this time. I think that part of the issue why I get so many axle seal leaks is the gunk that gets into the tube and creates an issue for the seals.

Installing outer seals will eliminate the from happening.

I also made some progress getting the CV joints on the axle shafts put back together.

Axle Seals Part 1

Time to break down and start looking at replacing the front axle seals.

One of the new tools arrived recently, a case spreader. From past experience, I know that the front locker will not come out easily, or go back in at all, without the use of a case spreader. I couldn’t find where to rent one from, so I bought one off the eBays.

I wish I had bought one years ago.

The process removing the old seals is simple. Insert a piece of conduit into the axle tube and smack it out. Putting it back in, is a different story. I wanted to use a proper seal press. Buying one was only around $100. But making one would be more fun. I designed this in Fusion 360.

CV joints

I started taking apart the CV joints. I need to use a brass punch (so I don’t dent the steel – the brass is softer) and manipulate the joint to get all the ball bearing out. Once out, the internal race can be removed and the joint cleaned out.

The axles are making a clicking noise while in 4WD and at full lock. Rebuilding the joints was the easiest option to seeing if it is the problem. If the clicking remains, at least I know the joints are in perfect order.

Front axle rebuild

Time to take care of the front axle. There has been a leak on the passenger side from the internal seals. Plus, I want to rebuild the CV joints in the axle shafts. I’m still going to need a couple tools, but I might as well start taking it apart.