Super excited to find this Union Tool Chest Works tool box on Facebook. Unfortun

Super excited to find this Union Tool Chest Works tool box on Facebook. Unfortunately, it is missing the front cover and needs a lot of TLC. I hope to have a new front cover made, but finding a lock for it might be difficult to impossible. Once I clean it up, I’ll decide if it needs to be refinished completely or only some new wax. I did some research and am confident this was made between 1916 and 1918!
.
.

Instagram Source

I wish I could remember who pointed me in the direction of this stuff, so I coul

I wish I could remember who pointed me in the direction of this stuff, so I could at least give some credit. This is EPDM Rubber Trim from McMaster (Part 5/8” wide x 3/4” high. Fits perfectly in the T slot of the Bridgeport. 10 feet was only $33.20. No more digging chips out of the slots or dropping a drill bit in there either. Pulls right out when you need to use them.
.
.
.

Instagram Source

Even though there is a bunch of surface rust in this feed distribution unit, the

Even though there is a bunch of surface rust in this feed distribution unit, the gears themselves look good. Spraying everything I can with kerosene and scrubbing with nylon and brass brushes, where I can reach. Trying to deal with the worst parts. I’ve been spinning the gears and the bearings don’t feel bad at all. As much as I would like to take this thing completely apart, clean everything and replace all the bearings, it’s not really feasible. There’s no guide in existence on how this goes together, outside of the parts manual. It’d be a guessing game on proper sequence. Lots of taper pins I am sure. The risk of breaking something or it not going back together the right way is higher than the risk of cleaning it the best I can and running it. If I had 55 gallons of @evapo_rust, I’d build a vat and soak it. But, instead I’ll fill the knee with kerosene with frequent changes until what comes out is acceptable.
.
.
.
.

Instagram Source