Took all the stuff, including the axle housing to Rob’s place for the axle install. He has a nice 2 1/2 stall garage to work in. I think the kitchen sink is in one of those boxes.
This took a lot longer than I had estimated. I figured around 4 hours, ended up taking 12. Ran into a couple of hiccups.
A high school friend, Peter, had come over to help but had to leave early. Sam also came over and was a huge help.
Don’t have a lot of photos, but hope to have a time lapse video in a few days.
The finished product:
After using a ProCal to set the final drive gear ratio, took it for a test drive I took this on the way home. Tracks with the GPS. Looks about right!
Here were the few quick easy steps we took to swap the axles:
- Put wheel chocks in front/behind front wheels
- Support frame on jack stands.
- Remove wheels
- Drain gear oil.
- Support axle on jack stands with cart.
- Remove calipers – support with bungee
- Remove brake rotors.
- Disconnect speed sensor plugs.
- Remove rear drive shaft from pinion. Support with bungee
- Remove axle flange nuts (4 each side)
- Connect slide hammer to lug bolts and remove rear shafts with parking brake assemblies
- Plug the housing tube ends with rags.
- Disconnect breather hose
- Disconnect parking brake cables.
- Remove lower shock bolts.
- Remove lower track bar bolt.
- Remove lower sway bar link bolts.
- Remove upper control arm bolts.
- Remove lower control arm bolts.
- Take disconnected housing off jack stands and on a floor jack to get it out of the way.
- Swap spring wedges, retainers and springs to new housing.
- Swap bump stops to new housing.
- Remove speed sensors from old shafts
- Remove parking brake assemblies and dust shields from old housings
- Install dust shields and parking brake assemblies on new shafts.
- Remove old Rubicon shafts bearing races and replace with new races.
- Put High Temp Bearing Grease in new shaft bearings.
- Slide new shafts into new housing. Tighten 4 axle nuts
- Install speed sensor in new shafts
- Slide new housing into place under the Jeep
- Install CA bolts – hand tight
- Install Track bar bolt – hand tight
- Install sway bar bolts
- Install lower shock bolts
- Connect speed sensor plug
- Install parking brake cables
- Connect diff breather hose
- Install brake drums
- Install brake calipers
- Remove old diff cover
- Clean differential face
- Spray out inside of diff with brake cleaner
- Install Lube Locker and diff cover
- Put new housing on axle cart and slide into place.
- Fill new axle with gear oil
- Remove axle cart
- Jack up Jeep and remove frame jack stands
- Set axle housing on jack stands on ground.
- Torque CA bolts
- Torque TB bolt
- Reconnect rear drive shaft
- Replace wheels
- Lower vehicle to ground
- Check axle centering – adjust track bar if necessary
- Use ProCal to set gear ratio to 4.88
- Drive it.